Sunday, May 7, 2017

Touchdown in Cusco (first day was 05.06.2017)

I think the hardest part of the trip so far has been dealing with the anticipation of what's to come tomorrow and for the rest of my trip. Of course, the ride to the airport in Lima from Surco didn't completely help and getting to my gate to Cusco was troublesome because it unexpectedly changed. WHOOPS.

Thankfully all of my fears-thus far- have been allayed since the moment I got to Maximo Nivel's main office in Cusco (Peru, just in case anyone's not sure, I've 100% been that person before). All of the staff, volunteers and taxi people have been fantastic, friendly, and supportive. I even chatted with the taxi driver on my way to the office! IN SPANISH. AND I UNDERSTOOD WORDS. SPANISH WORDS. I feel so accomplished sometimes. You multilingual people, I envy you.

The staff were friendly and able to give me some basic information about where I'm living, what I'll have to do to get ready for the week and just information my family felt better about having. When I got to the homestay my host mother was (and continues to be) a great host and person and feeds me and everything and is just so nice.

After I got settled I did some talking+bonding with a few of the other volunteers and we walked around Cusco after drinking some Mate de Coca-or Coca tea- that does a great deal to keep altitude sickness symptoms at bay. Also, getting used to being breathless has been happening. Trying to walk AND talk is hard guys, and not getting enough oxygen does not help with altitude sickness. Acclimation can take days or weeks so I will probably have to get used to being breathless from walking up hill after....five steps?

I could've taken it easy but CUSCO GUYS. IT'S BEAUTIFUL. And the people who sell things can be slightly overwhelming (some harass people nonstop, some are passive) the landscape and the markets are fun to see and walk around in. And we all had dinner together, people had been traveling/come from around the world. France, Canada, the U.S., New Zealand (fantastic accents, second to Irish for me) and other nationalities are definitely #represented here.

Things I wish I had known for my first day here: you'll have some help carrying luggage but you may have to walk up steps to get to your room. Just, wear sunscreen. All the time. Also wear layers! It's nice in the sun but cool inside/in the shade and when it gets cloudy. Try to get MAPS.Me and download the map for Cusco that day because walking around is fun. Oh! And those ladies who get you to take pictures with the al pacas? It's acceptable to give them 1 sol, I mean, more is always better but I'm on a budget guys.

Until next time!

-Syd


No comments:

Post a Comment